Spring has arrived and I love the lighter layers paired with open toed shoes and light colors. It’s all so refreshing, careless and cool. Stripes never looked so good with this seasons hottest shoe, a sporty sneaker. Matchy matchy is out- add a shoe with color for that added interest. Dig out those shorts as they go with everything from dressy to tomboy casual. The key is the balance of the outfit. If you have baggy shorts then wear a tighter tank with a loose white blouse button up and eye catching sandals. We all know spring temps are unpredictable so go with lighter layers that you can wrap around your waist or shoulders. Don’t forget to lighten your make up and hair can be more casual and fun!
I do love attending charity events and recently attended the annual Wentworth by the Sea Crossroads gala. I don’t like keeping my look the same and enjoy experimenting with new hair and make up styles. My beaded dress felt appropriate for a Spring event by the water. It was on the shorter side, white and the beads are stitched in a slight chevron style. The shoes stood out and I wanted them to have that bootie feel. When I think of spring make up on my olive complexion I think of bright pink. My toes and fingers along with my lips were covered in a deep pink color. I layered on two long necklaces to give a flapper feel. My hair dresser felt that I needed some pretty bling in my hair, so we stuck with a silvery sparkly flower.
Dress by Parker, shoes by Guess, necklace by Chanel and hair by Salon Sabeha
If you want to stand out at an event, you must prepare well in advance to look appropriate and as beautiful as you can be.
- 6-8 weeks before an event I start looking at dresses on line and I may even order one or two. I enjoy shopping at sites that offer free shipping and returns. Sometimes I’ll find a dress locally, but I give myself plenty of time for altering. I like seeing what is trending and find inspiration on various sites. It may be a dress length, color, cut or certain style that I decide to go with. Once I decide what I want my “wow” piece to be, then I get focused. For example, my last event I decided to wear fur and I wanted that to be my ‘wow’ piece so I decided to find a simple dress that wouldn’t take away for the fur. Then the shoes were just as interesting but the jewelry was simple. To see the fur, I needed my hair up, but wanted it to have an Old Hollywood feel. Other times I want to dress color to be the ‘wow’ factor. Then I keep the shoes neutral.
- 4-5 weeks I make sure I’ve thought about my ‘vision’ of what I want the rest of the outfit to consist of. I order shoes and jewelry with plenty of time for returns and reordering.
- 4 weeks make sure you have hair and nail appointments set up for a couple of days before and a hair appointment on the day of your event.
- 2 weeks before I nail down an inspirational hair photo. I make sure I have the right handbag and coat to wear.
- 1 week before I may attention to my body, face and teeth. I make sure that I watch my sugar intake and regularly hit the gym. I make sure that my face is kept clean and use my Clarisonic every other day. I use Super Smile, which is a teeth whitening system.
- 3-1 day before I make sure I get a fresh hair color, cut, eyebrow wax and toes and fingernails polished. Also, steam your dress and make sure you have everything you may need, like padding for your heels, appropriate undergarments, double stick tape, and your lipstick.
- Day of the event I I limit my water intake to avoid bloating. In place of water I drink cranberry and coconut water. I make sure I eat a big breakfast and protein filled lunch and plenty of snacking before I attend the event.
- I shower making sure I wash my face and shave my legs and around 5 hours before the event I get my hair done.
- 2 hours before we need to leave, I put my make up on. I often have thought about the style of my face…do I go for a colorful eye, smokey eye or bold lipstick. Decide what you want to enhance and make sure you’ve found colors that are trending and enhance your dress. For example, when I wore a bright yellow dress I decided to go with bright pink lips and simple eye make up. With the latest brown dress I went for a bronzed face.
- 1 hour before I get dressed, pack my purse, brush my teeth and give myself time to snap a few photo before leaving.
If you follow this timeline or make your own, you’ll be sure to have a cohesive and polished look for any special event.
Old Hollywood reminds me of hair pinned up, bright lips, gold shoes and fur. When I dress for a special occasion, just putting on a pretty dress is not enough. I enjoy having a vision and this time my vision started with wearing a fur. I didn’t own a fur, or any of my look but I get jazzed by the challenge of finding my outfit. The fundraiser was held at the Ritz-Carlton in Boston for Jaden’s Ladder. When I’m at a classy hotel, I like to dress the part.
The skinny on my look~
I found this simple brown DVF dress at a friend’s shop for $50! The next thing I found were these gold and black sequence shoes from J. Crew. Over time I found the fur vest on Ebay but with the shipping time, it would arrive with only 10 days to spare. I really wasn’t sure if it would be perfect, but to my surprise it’s gorgeous.
I picked up the clutch on winter clearance at Lord & Taylor. I chose it to tie the black and gold together with a bit of hard to play off the soft fur. The last item I picked, which didn’t really end up showing is my gold and Swarovski crystal necklace. But, I love it and am glad I bought it. The symbol means, “double luck” in Chinese.’
Hair styled by Salon Sabeha, make up from Modern Priscilla, teeth whitening by Super Smile.
Dress $50, J.Crew Shoes $32 (clearance), Fur $75, Swarovski necklace $60 (outlet), clutch $28
Total cost $245
Mark and I met in 1994 and married in 97. I was so young, all of 25 years old when we married.
One of our first formal events together.
A couple years after we were married
Attending a wedding before we were married
Christmas 2011. After being a couple for 17 years!
A N D. . . . here we are 18 years later!
We’ve come a long way. . . 2 son’s who are now 6 and 9, my stepson is 27 and this summer we welcomed a daughter-in-law into the family. Our family has grown and continues to change, but one thing remains the same…us!
Don’t just wear red for the holidays. Red can be a staple color. Everyone likes the way the color looks, so you’ll be making people around you smile! Why wouldn’t you want to wear Red!