If you want to stand out at an event, you must prepare well in advance to look appropriate and as beautiful as you can be.
- 6-8 weeks before an event I start looking at dresses on line and I may even order one or two. I enjoy shopping at sites that offer free shipping and returns. Sometimes I’ll find a dress locally, but I give myself plenty of time for altering. I like seeing what is trending and find inspiration on various sites. It may be a dress length, color, cut or certain style that I decide to go with. Once I decide what I want my “wow” piece to be, then I get focused. For example, my last event I decided to wear fur and I wanted that to be my ‘wow’ piece so I decided to find a simple dress that wouldn’t take away for the fur. Then the shoes were just as interesting but the jewelry was simple. To see the fur, I needed my hair up, but wanted it to have an Old Hollywood feel. Other times I want to dress color to be the ‘wow’ factor. Then I keep the shoes neutral.
- 4-5 weeks I make sure I’ve thought about my ‘vision’ of what I want the rest of the outfit to consist of. I order shoes and jewelry with plenty of time for returns and reordering.
- 4 weeks make sure you have hair and nail appointments set up for a couple of days before and a hair appointment on the day of your event.
- 2 weeks before I nail down an inspirational hair photo. I make sure I have the right handbag and coat to wear.
- 1 week before I may attention to my body, face and teeth. I make sure that I watch my sugar intake and regularly hit the gym. I make sure that my face is kept clean and use my Clarisonic every other day. I use Super Smile, which is a teeth whitening system.
- 3-1 day before I make sure I get a fresh hair color, cut, eyebrow wax and toes and fingernails polished. Also, steam your dress and make sure you have everything you may need, like padding for your heels, appropriate undergarments, double stick tape, and your lipstick.
- Day of the event I I limit my water intake to avoid bloating. In place of water I drink cranberry and coconut water. I make sure I eat a big breakfast and protein filled lunch and plenty of snacking before I attend the event.
- I shower making sure I wash my face and shave my legs and around 5 hours before the event I get my hair done.
- 2 hours before we need to leave, I put my make up on. I often have thought about the style of my face…do I go for a colorful eye, smokey eye or bold lipstick. Decide what you want to enhance and make sure you’ve found colors that are trending and enhance your dress. For example, when I wore a bright yellow dress I decided to go with bright pink lips and simple eye make up. With the latest brown dress I went for a bronzed face.
- 1 hour before I get dressed, pack my purse, brush my teeth and give myself time to snap a few photo before leaving.
If you follow this timeline or make your own, you’ll be sure to have a cohesive and polished look for any special event.